Thursday, November 7, 2024

Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date - Lanterns and Vinegret Russian Beet Salad

Welcome to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date. Here are my lanterns for this week's theme. It is an ACEO (2 1/2" x 3 1/2") outlined with an acrylic marker and coloured in with watercolour pencil.



 


 For the Dinner Date I made a Vinegret Russian Beet Salad.  My friend S had given me some fresh beets and suggested this recipe she got from a friend.  It calls for onions and I found another similar recipe that sautes them in oil before adding them to the salad.  I decided to try that as well.

4 medium beets

2 medium potatoes

2 carrots

3-4 dill pickles

1 onion

2 c frozen peas

1/2 tsp dried parsley

1/2 tsp dried dill

a sprig of fresh coriander

1 c sauerkraut

1 green onion

Dressing

2 tbs olive oil

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Boil potatoes and carrots for 30 mins.  In a separate pot, boil beets for 50 mins as it will tint the water.  Cool veg, peel and slice into cubes.  Dice onions and pickles.  I sauteed my onions in a bit of olive oil.  You can oil the cubed beets so they don't leak.  

Mix all veg, peas, pickles, chopped sauerkraut, dressing, herbs, green onion.

Enjoy!



34 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

To light and hmmm, sounds yummy. (We cook potatoes only 20 minutes, why 30?).

olga said...

Ottimo piatto.

roentare said...

That looks so super yummy

Ananka said...

Lovely art and the salad sounds nice too :-D

ellie said...

Such a great winter salad! Awesome lanterns!

Ivy's Closet said...

So wonderful to have fresh beets! Looks lovely! Sweet art, too!

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, I would love to try that salad. Thanks for the lovely art too! Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Your salad looks delicious-and I love seeing your little paintings

Angie's Recipes said...

The salad looks so colourful and pretty!

baili said...

nice art
that salad looks so delicious

R’s Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Iris until tender works, sometimes whole potatoes take longer depending on size.

Granny Annie said...

Love your ACEO lanterns and love any meals with beets.

My name is Erika. said...

That beet salad looks hearty and yummy.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Looks delicious. We make rosolli for Christmas. It's a bit similar.

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks delicious! Hugs!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Sweet art and the beet dish sounds wonderful. Blessings, Christine!

Gillena Cox said...

The food looks so yummy.
Nice lanterns

Much♡love

CheerfulMonk said...

I need to buy some beets, and try to draw something. You inspire me. 😊

LoveT. said...

I love the Idea of Lanterns

snobe casamang said...

Great salad.

J.P. Alexander said...

Lindo dibujo. Te mando un beso. Gracias por la receta.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like beet in my salads.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like your art and the Beet Salad looks so colourful.

All the best Jan

Anonymous said...

I like your art and the Beet salad is so colourful.

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

ALLIE NYC said...

Oh this sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening. The recipe sounds super yummy and your painting is lovely you should frame it.

Allie of
www.allienyc.com

Ane said...

Uau, esta salada está perfeita!
Gostei da receita!
Beijos!

Christine said...

Thanks Allie

DVArtist said...

Ohhh you know I love your art. But that beet salad looks amazing.

Tom said...

...let your light shine.

The Velvet Runway said...

The salad looks delicious as well as colorful
Julia x

Jeanie said...

You nailed the lanterns! I'm not so sure about the beets! It sounds good in theory but I've never been a fan. Maybe the vinegar helps!

Heidrun said...

Thank you for sharing this fine recipe. We love to eat Rote Beete.

Lorraine said...

I like the lanterns and that recipe looks delicious.