Monday, November 18, 2024

László Bíró and the ball point pen

 I came across the history of the ball point pen and found it so interesting.  Here is a good link.

László Bíró patented the first commercially successful modern ball point pen. He noticed 'children playing with marbles in a puddle, noticing that the marbles left a trail of water in their wake. This gave him an idea: Why not use a ball-shaped metal nib for writing, which became the initial design idea for the ball pen.' 

We take the ball point pen for granted but it is interesting to know how it came to us. Of course many others continued to perfect and market it including 'Marcel Bich. He licensed the ballpoint pen designs from Bíró and created the BIC Company in 1953.' Here is another link.

17 comments:

roentare said...

That is an interesting documentary

baili said...

we humans take everything granted mostly dear Christine which is sad and unfortunate
thanks for sharing

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, so interesting. I do love BIC!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Imagine such inspiration from a game of marbles! Thanks for this info, Christine. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Good morning, thank you for sharing-that was very interesting to learn
happy new week

gigi-hawaii said...

Very interesting. Who knew?

Angie's Recipes said...

How interesting!

🌺JoAnna I. - K.🌺 said...

I like pens and ballpoint pens, thanks for this post.

Ananka said...

That is so cool. I always like knowing how people come up with their inventions! :-D

Kathy G said...

Thank you for teaching me something this morning.

Red said...

This makes me think of the fountain pen. Is there still "pen and ink"? You've given me some homework. I will have to look up fountain pen.

Granny Annie said...

So thankful for all the marvelous inventors and inventions in this world.

Królowa Karo said...

Interesting. I didn't know it.

Hena Tayeb said...

How fascinating the mind is.. he was a clever man.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I never really thought about the beginning of the ball point pen. Interesting!

Lowcarb team member said...

That was interesting to read ... thank you.

All the best Jan

Fundy Blue said...

Definitely a cool story, Christine. Inspiration is everywhere.