Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Europe finale - Barcelona

After leaving the ship, we stayed at a good hotel in Barcelona close to the well known street of La Ramblas. We walked to the market there and ate empanadas, iberico ham, and gelato. You have to scan your euros into a machine everywhere in Barcelona. It would detect counterfeit money I realized. We were very careful and cautious of pickpocketers everywhere we went. 

 We got hop on hop off bus tickets for the 2 days that we were in Barcelona. That same day we took that bus to Park Geull. It is a famous park designed by Gaudi. The next day we visited Sagrada Familia also designed by Gaudi. We climbed many narrow steps down one of the towers inside the Church.  To be honest, I did not think the Sagrada Familia was beautiful, maybe I am not a fan of Art Nouveau.  It seemed like a monstrosity to me.  However, others love it.

We had dinner that last night at a lovely tapas restaurant and did some shopping.  There was a festival in town and daughter L and her husband enjoyed fireworks on our last night in Barcelona.  The rest of us went to bed.

We had a connecting flight home to Toronto on Sept 25th.  We were tired and happy to be home after a long trip, but many good memories were made.  Our family had some great bonding time.

On further reflection, cruises are a great way to have quick glimpses of places.  Husband M's nephew mentioned backpacking through Europe a long time ago as a student and it sounded great to have a week in each city at your leisure.
 

La Ramblas Market

La Ramblas Market

La Ramblas Market

La Ramblas

Park Guell

Sagrada Familia

Sagrada Familia

tapas - pickled mussels

tapas - avocado dip and truffle risotto

Sangria



 

23 comments:

roentare said...

These are yummy food you have enjoying

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Thank you for this great travel report and photos,
that was so beautiful!
Hug Elke

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds like really a great bonding time. And a yummy one, too.

Ananka said...

Great photos. Glad you all had a good time. I like getting away but I love getting home too! :-D

ellie said...

Oh, so many beautiful attractions, but travel always has its pros and cons. So glad you got to see family too. Some great memories!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Wow, looks like some amazing food. Awesome to see your photos. What a great trip. I'm glad you guys are home and I hope you have a wonderful November.

Angie's Recipes said...

You had a great time :-)

My name is Erika. said...

I went to Barcelona in 2010 and it was a great city. I liked the Sagrada. I bet it is more done now than when I was there. I think you had quite the adventure Christine and I'm glad you shared it with us. Thanks.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

You had a great trip! Thank you for letting me read and follow the trip through the pictures!

Pam said...

great traveling pics. I bet you are having a blast.

Vanessa said...

Amei ver um pouquinho das fotos do passeio, isso é muito bacana e aproveitar os momentos é maravilhoso e essencial na vida.
Beijos.


https://www.parafraseandocomvanessa.com.br/

Lisabella Russo said...

It sounds like an incredible trip. I love your descriptions and pictures.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Such amazing food selections, Christine. And how wonderful that you all could enjoy time together as a family. Blessings!

Christine said...

Ananka that sounds wonderful! I'd love to do that.

J.P. Alexander said...

España es muy bella. Te mando un beso.

Mary Kirkland said...

Very nice, looks fun.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Looks wonderful.

Kathy G said...

I agree that cruises are a great way to get a first impression of a lot of places, and help you figure out which ones to go back to again.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

To be honest, I have never been a fan of Gaudi or his buildings. Your tapas and sangria look good.

Christine said...

Elizabeth your comments have been coming through!

Tanza Erlambang said...

the foods look so delicious.... yummy

Anonymous said...

Pleased you all had an enjoyable time.
Travelling is great but it's always nice to come home :)

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Busy Bee Suz said...

Barcelona is a large, bustling city full of history. We loved all the food too. I don't remember scanning any euros, but I was diligent about not having anything swiped from my purse/pockets.