Yesterday I went to see my family doctor to renew a prescription. It so happened I was coughing pretty hard, so I had him check my chest, etc. Then he prescribed a strong cough medicine for me. Later on, the pharmacist read the instructions saying 'one to two teaspoons three times per day' and advised me to stick with one teaspoon as the medicine is pretty strong. He also said it had a drowsy effect so I wouldn't want to take it if I needed to be extra alert at any time. When I got home, I read the sheet that came with the medicine and I noticed the word 'narcotic'. That spells 'addiction' to me! These doctors think they are helping us, but frankly I'm now scared to take that medicine.
The interesting thing is that I was telling the doctor about my daughter in university passing this bug onto me. Then he mentioned his son is in first year at the same university. The big deal is that my mom, my sister and I have been patients of his since the mid-eighties and we all assumed he wasn't even married! I managed to inquire if he had other kids and indeed he had some younger ones. Were my mom and sister ever surprised to hear this gossip! It's not that we're clued out, I guess we are not prying kind of people and he's never mentioned having a family.
And flu shots are now available, by the way.
The interesting thing is that I was telling the doctor about my daughter in university passing this bug onto me. Then he mentioned his son is in first year at the same university. The big deal is that my mom, my sister and I have been patients of his since the mid-eighties and we all assumed he wasn't even married! I managed to inquire if he had other kids and indeed he had some younger ones. Were my mom and sister ever surprised to hear this gossip! It's not that we're clued out, I guess we are not prying kind of people and he's never mentioned having a family.
And flu shots are now available, by the way.
13 comments:
Hope you soon feel better. Some medis are really more dangerous than the illnesses! Valerie
Hi Christine,
I tried at least six different cough mixtures and nothing worked . Nights were the worst The onion/honey really was great . It started to work right away and i feel fine now. Hope you are soon better
Feel Better...and agree, I don't like to take any medicine unless absolutely necessary!
Barbara, I think I will try that, thanks!
anything addicting scares me Christine!!! hope you feel better soon!!!!
Hope you feel better soon.
Very difficult to become addicted to a small dose for a short period of time.
At least try a dose and see if it helps.
Hugs
Stay clear of the Narcotic squad!!! Heeehehe!
Oh hon, I do pray that you get to feelin' better. I'm one that won't go to the Doc unless I think I'm gonna die.
Take care and have a blessed day!!! :o)
Don't be scared to take the medicine, Christine. They don't just prescribe it to everyone. It has healing properties...and, if you stick to 1 teaspoonful, you'll be fine. You won't get better if you don't follow the doctor's orders. And I promise, you won't become addicted.
We all want you feeling better soon!
Hello Christine
I do hope this clears up soon as there’s nothing more fatiguing than a constant cough.
My favourite cough mixture (Bonnington's Irish Moss) contains a seaweed extract, Menthol and Camphor, a lovely black mixture that the kids used to hate. It works tho and we wouldn’t be without it.
Take care
Cathy
Strong honey and lime tea.
I wonder what made you think he was not married? I mean I would assume all doctors are married.
thanks for all your suggestions kind people!
Ocean Girl, I guess he didn't have that 'married' way about him...no photos displayed, you know. He seemed to go on 'golfing' vacations. Funny the assumptions you make about people!
I'm glad you read the information. I wouldn't take it if I see the word "narcotic" on it.
I hope you feel better soon!
Christine I wonder why your doctor didn't give you more information about the medicine.
Do doctors presume that pharmacists will tell you the correct dosage to take.
I very rarely read the sheet that comes with prescriptions but I will be reading them from now on.
How you are fighting fit again soon my friend.
Hugs
Peggy xxxxx
Post a Comment