I was watching TV at the gym recently and these 3 pretty young Greek ladies were on a show describing how to make a warm Dandelion salad. I was on my way to the grocery store and decided to pick up a bunch of dandelions! Basically they said to cook them like you would cook pasta. So bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the dandelions (including the stems) 15 to 20 minutes depending on how wilted you would prefer them. Then when cooked, add a bit of olive oil and lemon. You know, I couldn't tell the difference between this and say collard greens or spinach except it may have a more bitter taste like arugula. Would you try this recipe? My husband M didn't like it though, but he can be picky.
The ladies went on to say their parents would harvest dandelions growing in the fields, and especially these days when there are no pesticides allowed on the lawns, it would probably be okay. Be sure to harvest before they bloom flowers. Oh they said you could use the boiled dandelion water to make tea, but I didn't do that.
The ladies went on to say their parents would harvest dandelions growing in the fields, and especially these days when there are no pesticides allowed on the lawns, it would probably be okay. Be sure to harvest before they bloom flowers. Oh they said you could use the boiled dandelion water to make tea, but I didn't do that.


7 comments:
I have only had dandelions here in salad, but it was rather bitter! Valerie
Since I don't like arugula, I won't eat dandelions. Lol. Thanks for the thought!
my gramma ate them all the time and always in spring , I think the tea is good for your liver,
I buy a lot of greens, but I've NEVER seen dandelions! I wonder how their taste compares to kale, one of my favorites.
It looks nice and green :) Can't say I've had them very often, however like my salads. Enjoy your day!
Kathy it isn't like kale as it does have a bitterish taste.
I'm never had dandelions cooked before-- only a few scattered in a green salad. Not sure this would be my thing but I do love fresh arugula so you never know.
Post a Comment