Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Dates


Last week I went to Costco to do some shopping. I bought about 10 items and made it home in time to catch the Fed-ex courier making a delivery at around the noon hour. I was pretty pleased about that.

Later that night, I had the feeling something was missing. Sure enough there was no trace of the box of imported Israeli dates I had bought. I remember thinking how large and freshly dried they looked and couldn't wait to taste one. It was a splurge at $8.49 for the large box, I thought. I decided I must have left them at Costco, likely at the checkout counter. M decided to take a drive over there, it was about 7.30pm and they were still open. The way I described them must have sparked a sweet craving in him, because it was cold outside!

M said he went to the refund counter and asked if anyone might have our missing box of dates. It seems they keep a log of stuff like this, but our dates were not recorded on this log. However, the guy said it was not a problem, as this happens to people all the time. He told M to just go get another box, no charge! Well that is good customer service, we were happy with that! And yes, the dates are plump, juicy and delicious. Of course, the next step would've been to actually buy another box if it hadn't been replaced, but it's more the principle of the thing. M said a lady was there looking for her misplaced Amex card. She was advised to cancel it, as I would've done anyway. Another guy was returning a broken appliance. Costco is very good about accepting returns.

On another subject, have you heard the new Bruno Mars song 'Just The Way You Are'? I was listening to the words on the radio the other day and thought how nice a tribute it is to a woman. There is nothing degrading in that song and they should write more uplifting love songs like that. It would be great for young women's self esteem. Enough of the 'bad boy' image, you know.

12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

How nice that you got your dates, hope they were good! Hugs,
Valerie

SARO Arabic said...

Ooh I miss dates. We had plenty during the fasting month. The common dates here are from Iran :)

Enjoyed the song. It is just a nice song to listen again and again. The song I am listening now and can't really break away from is One Of Us by Abba.

Lisabella Russo said...

Mmmm, dates, yum! I shop at Costco sometimes and it's good to know that they have such good customer service. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Costco is very good. Hubby saw that our computer monitor went on sale a week after he paid a higher price for it. When he complained to customer service, they refunded the difference in price!

I love that song!

UB said...

Yes I too am a happy customer when I receive good customer service. A small amount keep me smiling.

Crystal said...

Glad you got the dates! I totally agree about the the Bruno Mars song...perfect for Valentine's day too! :-)

Heather said...

glad you got your dates!!!!
i like the song, too!!!!

Unknown said...

oh I have never ever been into dates....I am not even sure I know what they taste like!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like that song :) Glad you got your dates - looks tasty. Enjoy your day!

Kathy G said...

I buy a lot of dried fruit at Costco, but never dates. I'll have to see if my store carries them next time I'm there.

Kay said...

Bruno Mars is from Hawaii, I believe so yes, I have heard the song. I like the lyrics too.

Dates! I love dates! How lovely of Costco. I do like to shop there too.

Alicia C said...

dates are GREAT - when we lived in Atlanta we had access to an international farmers' market - you could buy a huge box of mejdool dates for $50 - they actually last something like 6 months, even with frequent eating.