I recently found this Alzheimer's Poem by Owen Darnell and wanted to share it here. It is beautiful, very true and touching. It can even apply to the mentally ill.
Do not ask me to remember,
Don’t try to make me understand,
Let me rest and know you’re with me,
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.
I’m confused beyond your concept,
I am sad and sick and lost.
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all cost.
Do not lose your patience with me,
Do not scold or curse or cry.
I can’t help the way I’m acting,
Can’t be different though I try.
Just remember that I need you,
That the best of me is gone,
Please don’t fail to stand beside me,
Love me ’til my life is done.
– Owen Darnell
Do not ask me to remember,
Don’t try to make me understand,
Let me rest and know you’re with me,
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.
I’m confused beyond your concept,
I am sad and sick and lost.
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all cost.
Do not lose your patience with me,
Do not scold or curse or cry.
I can’t help the way I’m acting,
Can’t be different though I try.
Just remember that I need you,
That the best of me is gone,
Please don’t fail to stand beside me,
Love me ’til my life is done.
– Owen Darnell
16 comments:
Oh my gosh. That made me cry.
Wonderful words. I looked after a friend in the last 3 years of her life with Alzheimer's, it's always hard. Valerie
that made me cry !!!!!!!!!!!!
a very touching statement from the poem,
Everyone should take this to heart
Thank you!
Nice day
Elke
Beautiful and touching.
I am still wiping away the tears 💮
Great poem. So easy to forget. My mom had an awesome memory. Could remember so much but the body just gave out. Scary though, my granny had that terrible illness. That was moms mom, then she had a sister and brother that also had it. My cousin, moms brothers child has it, early onset at the age of 54. Such a terrible illness when it robs you of your memories.
Oh what a poignant poem. It could also apply to all of us.
I'm so glad they are doing research into this. We respect their reality.
Oh I wish I could say that to people sometimes about what I go through with depression and anxiety. It's really touching and sad at the same time that one needs to ask for compassion, love and patience.
A good reminder that getting Alzheimers is not a choice. More needed to help the victims of the disease itself and the caregivers, who are the other victims.
My grandmother died of it.
So touching, Christine. Made my heart ache.
sad, but poignant poem....
It's true.
This is a lovely poem Christine.
So sad and so poignant.
All the best Jan
This is so true and so sad.
Post a Comment