Sunday, November 24, 2019

Plastic teabags



One of my sisters came across this article which says that some teabags may be secreting microplastics into your cup.
The teabags look like silk but are plastic. Sure enough I had some in my house, which I disposed of. There is something to be said for using tea leaves to make your tea.

24 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

And there's stuff inside some tea bags that aren't really tea but added for bulk. Crazy stuff.

Christine said...

ooh hadn't heard this one!

Evi Erlinda said...

Oh no! I consume a lot of plastic :(

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds scary! I'll stick to grinding coffee beans! Valerie

Pink Rose said...

Oh dear i think I have some too,Thankyou for letting us know Christine xx

Adam said...

I never use them

Chris Lally said...

Thank you for the warning, Christine! Appreciate it:)

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought of that. Thanks for the warning!

Sandra Cox said...

Ack. Not good.

gigihawaii said...

Too bad. As for me, I don't drink caffeine.

JFM said...

Thank you for bringing this to my attention...I will be more careful about my tea bags from now on ;)

Kathy G said...

Thanks. I checked, and all of my tea bags are the filter paper kind.

The Happy Whisk said...

If I can find the article, I will send it to you. I found it bc I often open my tea bags. If the tea isn't already loose.

Lowcarb team member said...

It would certainly seem that tea bags are not necessarily the best thing to use.
Bring back real tea, with tea leaves and a strainer :)

All the best Jan

Pam said...

Scary....never know what is in our food.

Kay said...

No kidding? I had no idea.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Plastic + heat = bad

Powdered Toast Man said...

pretty much anything and everything is going to poison us.

Tanza Erlambang said...

yes, it contains "micro-plastic"...but, some readings say that our body could absorb it in certain amount.

# I did not use teabag for safe recently....

Geraldine Helen said...

I'm not a tea drinker. This sounds scary though.😞

Busy Bee Suz said...

Yep. You are right. I only purchase GMO free teabags because of that very reason.

Sue (this n that) said...

Appreciate you letting us know. Plastic is everywhere, don't need these extra sneaky ways of more of the stuff xx

Jennifer Rose said...

its more the bags getting into the water supply that adds micro plastic to water, its not adding it to a cup, most tea bags have some plastic in them. most things do actually, we are just not usually aware of it.

baili said...

oh that sounds worrying