I was at the eye doctor for my annual checkup. He is a new optometrist I started seeing last year in addition to my annual cataract checkup at the eye surgeon. It is expensive at the optometrist but I figure it is worth getting your eyes completely checked every year. I like that he is more than willing to answer any questions I might have. They have a lot of eye machines, one for glaucoma, one for a new tomography type test, etc. In addition the doctor does his standard reading of the letters and various passages. One question I asked was 'how does he test someone for example who only speaks Chinese?' He said there are some basic figures he can use and often the patient will bring a translator. He says it is more difficult to test someone with say autism, but there are ways and they manage. He said it is possible to communicate with people who speak different languages, not a impossible as one might think. It was an interesting answer.
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
At the eye doctor
I was at the eye doctor for my annual checkup. He is a new optometrist I started seeing last year in addition to my annual cataract checkup at the eye surgeon. It is expensive at the optometrist but I figure it is worth getting your eyes completely checked every year. I like that he is more than willing to answer any questions I might have. They have a lot of eye machines, one for glaucoma, one for a new tomography type test, etc. In addition the doctor does his standard reading of the letters and various passages. One question I asked was 'how does he test someone for example who only speaks Chinese?' He said there are some basic figures he can use and often the patient will bring a translator. He says it is more difficult to test someone with say autism, but there are ways and they manage. He said it is possible to communicate with people who speak different languages, not a impossible as one might think. It was an interesting answer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Sounds like a nice place. My eye doctor is a bit snippish but very thorough, so I stick with her! Valerie
I'm sure it isn't a pleasant 30 mins for them.
Interesting info!
i am glad you can afford such expensive checkup dear Christine
i agree that regular and accurate checkup is necessary
my son lives in Germany and his doctor mostly speak German language ,he manage to understand my son's point of view as well
I think spending money on our health-especially our special eyes is never wasted. He sounds like a great Dr.
Blessings.
My optometrist is a former student. Good in his field. Great guy.
It does help if the doctor is bilingual.
It was an interesting question.
You're good Christine. I don't have my eyes checked ever unless I need a new glasses prescription, it's just not in the budget!
I hope so Laurie.
My insurance will pick up thing such as a cataract or any other eye diseases but won't pick the vision part, which paid for my self.
That meme is too funny.
Good for your optometrist for finding a way.
That was a good answer. People find ways to communicate with one another.
wow...a creative way by doctor to communicate with patients.
Great info.
He sounds like a great eye doctor. I agree with him about being able to communicate with people of a different language. I used to do this many times when I lived over the pond, especially when going into Europe. I spent a whole evening with a couple at a crowded restaurant when we had to share tables. It was a lot of hand motions, a simple little translation booklet and a lot of laughter. One of the best evenings of my holiday. However, I guess it would be a bit more complicated when at a doctor's appointment.
You are in a 'good place' if you find a Doctor, Dentist, Optician etc that you like and trust. I've had the same ones for many years now …
All the best Jan
that's interesting and a reminder to see an eye doc.
I have a new, young optometrist too and he's really wonderful. We were very impressed with the care he took to explaining everything to us.
That is cool that the Dr takes the time to answer.
Post a Comment