Monday, February 13, 2017

Smelly

At my hairdresser's last week, I was talking to his assistant.  Somehow the topic went to older people. She started talking about this awful smell that was noticed on the same floor as her apartment.  It forced the residents to call 911, the emergency number so they could check on that apartment.  It seems the old lady who lived inside had passed away for about 5 days before the smell was noticed.  She was wheelchair bound, extremely overweight and lived with a number of cats.  She had fallen in the bathtub.  The awful thing is she had no one to check on her.  People would avoid her apartment because it was filthy and smelly with all the cats and never cleaned.  The cats managed to survive all those days without food.


15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

How awful, things are sometimes so sad. Hugs, Valerie

baili said...

in big rushy cities such incidents are becoming normal now a days!
where have gone the days when people used to visit and try to keep in touch with each other daily so they can keep an eye on such helpless people just for the sake of humanity

Mark said...

I think dying alone like that would be one of the worst things I could imagine. I'm always saddened by deaths when I hear that they were dead for days before anyone even noticed.

Kathy G said...

How awful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how awful!

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh my goodness ... this is sad.

All the best Jan

Lisabella Russo said...

That's so very sad. I am sorry for the woman. I am glad though that the cats survived.

Sue (this n that) said...

Very sad indeed.

Adam said...

I'm glad the cats made it okay

Lux G. said...

Oh, my heart. :(

Anonymous said...

I have been having this conversation with people...what happens to those who have no support system. No family. No friends. No connections. This woman is one of them.

Teamgsquare said...

So sad. Hope her soul rest in peace.

Lady Fi said...

Such a terrible and sad story.

Jenn Jilks said...

Gosh, we really need to check in on people like this. Hubby, delivering Meals on Wheels, does this.

sandy said...

Hi Christine - I've been catching up way back in your archives now - pages back - I didn't realize how long it's been since I've visited my blog friends. anyway, what a sad story this is. I've been enjoying catching up on all your drawings .