You can enlarge the photo to read this 1923 Teacher's Contract. Times have sure changed.
I was walking to the mailbox on a beautiful evening and the lovely, friendly family next door were outside. That would be the mother, father, 3 kids, grandma and grandpa. The mom told me the kids wanted to ride their bikes, that it took them only 3 days to learn to ride. Then she told me they were showing off. The younger daughter said 'Hi Christine, look at me!' I had to exaggerate and say 'Wow, you look amazing!' She was pleased with herself. I didn't linger, as you know we are not supposed to get too close due to covid.
I was walking to the mailbox on a beautiful evening and the lovely, friendly family next door were outside. That would be the mother, father, 3 kids, grandma and grandpa. The mom told me the kids wanted to ride their bikes, that it took them only 3 days to learn to ride. Then she told me they were showing off. The younger daughter said 'Hi Christine, look at me!' I had to exaggerate and say 'Wow, you look amazing!' She was pleased with herself. I didn't linger, as you know we are not supposed to get too close due to covid.
15 comments:
Oh dear, I don't think I would have wanted to be a teacher back then - what a life! Hugs, Valerie
interesting history :)
Such a cool story❤
Very harsh terms in the contract, especially the first one (not to get married)!
Teaching , however, was a good, respectable profession in those days. There was discipline in schools and pupils used to come fo school for learning not for passing the time.
Funny - the trustees and school board didn't seem to care about the quality of her teaching or the approach she would use with the students. It was all about her own personal behaviour. -Jenn
WoW - Sure Don't See Those Anymore - Dig The Easy Bread Post As Well
Cheers
Interesting.
I've seen this contract before and there are many more like it. Since I was a teacher, we always looked at these contracts and pushed to see that such conditions did not come back.
That contract is strict. I would never sign it. Lol.
That teacher's contract has me SMH (as the young folks say).
Wow times sure have changed!
I do believe I would have been labeled a sinful rebel if i had been hired as a teacher in those times. I probably would have broken all the rules and hoped they didn't find out.
My grandma was a teacher in about 1916 out on the U.S. prairies, and she drove to school in a wagon. I am sure she did not loiter in ice cream parlors, that would have been shocking. Interesting list of rules.
Thanks for sharing the contract … yes times have changed!
All the best Jan
oh no the horror of ice cream parlours lol
and you can drink rum, gin,vodka and absinthe :)
Post a Comment