Husband M picked this bowl of cherries and got a bottle of vodka so that we could try making a sour cherry liqueur. My friend S' sister said we don't need a cherry pitter, a straw will do just fine. And actually it is true. We even found a metal straw and it works well too.
Here is my cherry liqueur recipe. I doesn't require the cherries to be pitted, so I used the cup I had already pitted to make a cherry vinaigrette dressing. I chose a liqueur recipe that uses less sugar.
Here is my cherry compote recipe:
Here is my cherry liqueur soaking in vodka and sugar. I will turn these jars over every week for 4 weeks and it should be ready.
My friend S had given me some kale so I made a kale salad. It went well with my sour cherry vinaigrette dressing.
Here is my sour cherry vinaigrette recipe. I used 2 tbs honey instead as well as a cup of pitted halved sour cherries in place of the juice.
Having assembled my cherry liqueur jars, I had 2 cups of cherries leftover. So I pitted them with my metal straw this time and decided to make a cherry compote:
It was a day well spent! Now I might make some mini cheesecakes using a recipe my sister gave me. This would go well with my cherry compote.
I suppose next year I may pick more cherries, after all these years!






22 comments:
What delicious recipes you've made. The idea of using a straw to remove the seeds is great.
Good luck with the jars, they'll definitely taste great!
good baking, you busy bee! Hugs Elke
Those cherries look wonderful and the liqueur sounds so good. Actually, it all sounds good. 😊
That sounds like such a lovely and resourceful summer project
Awesome crop! Now you can make Dirty Shirleys! Which is such a refreshing cocktail! Awesome salad too. Thanks for the recipe!
Oh, how wonderful. Looks like a great way to take care of those cherries. What an adventure! & Hubby helped too.
The sour cherry vinaigrette sounds fabulous!
Sour cherries are the best. This looks like a really fun "project" and I hope it comes out great.
Awesome post and to have your own cherry tree-so much you can make with those. Years ago I would make what we'd call a vodka from different fruits I even made kaluha and amoretto-when we moved to the lake I found a couple bottles over 15 years old-those taste like store bought now.
Lovely cherries!
Roentare, all done in one day!
Cherries have always been a favorite of mine. So cool that you have them in your backyard, Christine!
Beautiful cherries 🍒
It all looks so wonderful! I love cherries.
How fun, my daughter would probably love these.
Oh! We love sour cherries, but haven't been able to harvest them because the critters get them first. (Long story, net burned in the last fire, too heavy for Andy to handle now.) Enjoy!
A great recipe. It's sure to taste delicious.
Mew gustan las cerezas. te mando un beso.
This is a great recipe. I know they taste fabulous.
It really was a day well spent :)
All the best Jan
Look at how much good stuff you can make from one fruit. I love that you have a cherry tree---that is so cool!
They looks good. My cherry tree doesn't give any fruit sadly. The apple trees do and the blackberry bush too :-D
These look great, thanks for the recipes.
Post a Comment