Monday, July 21, 2025

Handiwork




 


At the end of last month, daughter L asked me if I could widen the neckline on the baby onesie pictured above.  I can only hand sew using a basic back stitch or do some hemming as required as I never bothered learning how to use a sewing machine.  I found this video on YouTube showing how to fix a small neckline and decided to try this method.

As you can see in the 2nd photo I was able to widen the neckline.  It gave me a real sense of accomplishment.  It took under an hour from conception to finish.  The fun was in figuring out what to do.  I still have no desire to learn how to use a sewing machine, not being the most mechanical person.

28 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Good job! My Singer (from Ingo!) sits here unused...

Katerinas Blog said...

You did very well, Kristine!!
It used to be my dream to design and make clothes (I did quite a bit).
When I had the luxury and bought a good sewing machine, my dreams changed and I don't have any time for that anymore!!

Veronica Lee said...

You nailed that neckline fix.
Cute onesie!

CheerfulMonk said...

Great job! It was probably easier to do it by hand even if you had a sewing machine. ❤️

DeniseinVA said...

That was a very rewarding outcome and a very cute onesie. Well done Christine! I don’t have a sewing machine.

roentare said...

There’s something especially satisfying about solving a practical problem with your own hands, and it looks like your creativity and perseverance paid off beautifully

Anonymous said...

awesome! it feels good accomplishing a task and learning something new. I love hand sewing too-my Mom was a master seamstress so I was taught how to use the sewing machine very young-never became as good as Mom was-I prefer hand stitching or now they call it slow stitching

ellie said...

Beautiful work! Awesome to see the result!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Wonderful! You are so talented in many ways! All the best to your creativity!

Lucimar da Silva Moreira said...

Christine que lindo o trabalho uma fofura, passando pra desejar uma ótima semana bjs.

gigi-hawaii said...

I took Home Economics in 7th grade and learned how to use a sewing machine. However, I have since forgotten how to thread it, so gave it to Maria. Good job on the onesie.

Gillena Cox said...

Good job..
Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles.
Happy Monday, i posted TODAY

much💚love

jabblog said...

Quite a tricky task. I love the material - so sweet.

Angie's Recipes said...

Well done!

Kathy G said...

Good job!

Mrs. L said...

Aww wow, great job on the onesie, it looks nice and cute!
Same here, I used to hand sew simple dresses for my daughter when she was a toddler, I was kind of afraid that use a sewing machine!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

You did a marvelous job, Christine!

Jenn Jilks said...

Really well done!

sandy said...

Good job on that. Wow.

Ananka said...

You did good. I am hopeless with stuff like that! :-D

Sandra Cox said...

Good job!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done Christine, you did a great job.

All the best Jan

J.P. Alexander said...

Te quedo genial. te mando un beso.

My name is Erika. said...

It looks fantastic, and good for you to do such a great job!

Adam said...

You tocan do it!

Adam

NEKORANDOM.COM

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Beautiful job, Christine. I love ❤️ it.

BootsandBraids said...

Sewing by hand is quite the skill.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm impressed with your capabilities. I'm a basic 'hand stitcher' too. My MIL was a professional seamstress and she tried many times to teach me how to use a machine, but the skill just wasn't in me!