Monday, December 12, 2022

DNA horrors

We are having unseasonable weather, mild and not a lot of snow this year.

 My sisters and I were having a discussion on DNA testing.  One sister mentioned a few horrors some of her friends have experienced.  One discovered a full sibling out there.  Her mom changes the subject and he is not answering her messages to connect.  Another friend discovered her dad is not her real dad.  She found out she had unknowingly met her real dad but he is now deceased.  Another sister said the father of  a friend of  had donated to a sperm bank, and discovered a number of half siblings out there.

There is good in DNA science in that they have managed to find rapist killers 30 years back sometimes.

My friend was telling me she saw on TV that they isolated a kind gene in dogs that was not present in wolves.  It explains their lovable trusting nature.  She said unfortunately that gene does not work well in humans.  They isolated the gene in a human boy.  It turns out he was overly trusting and kind to the point of it not being normal.  You simply can't trust everyone blindly.  I found this article that seems to relate to my friend's information.


26 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, we are in worrisome times. All we can do is to keep going. Stay positive and find joy. Although, easier said than done. Thanks so much for the post. Definitely, a lot to think on.

Marianela Beauty Tips said...

Thanks for sharing.
I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week!

gigi-hawaii said...

Maria did the DNA test and found her birth father's family on the East coast. Interesting.

ashok said...

Genetics is an interesting and intriguing field

The Velvet Runway said...

Thanks for sharing this.
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

Kathy G said...

Wow!

Busy Bee Suz said...

People can't get away with family secrets any longer.

Jenn Jilks said...

Wouldn't that be a shock! I was always told I was adopted. Too many secrets.

Ane said...

Acho que como tudo na vida, existe o lado bom
e o lado ruim dos testes de DNA.
Um abraço! ♥

Abdel said...

Very interesting post! Thanks for sharing :)

Abdel | Infinitely Posh.

Angie's Recipes said...

How interesting!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hmm, there could be a lot of sysecrets that will be revealed! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

The world has changed in many ways. I don't think it's the DNA's fault when people discover family secrets. There are probably more people who find good things from their DNA. And other than your genetics, your DNA doesn't tell you everything about who you are what you will be.

Ananka said...

It has been mega mega cold here the last few days!

DNA is an amazing thing. It tells no lies. I watch these cold case shows and how many are caught years on due to DNA!

roentare said...

It is how we use the technology that matters. Some horror stories

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy interesante. Te mando un beso.

Anonymous said...

Good points Erika -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

peppylady (Dora) said...

I did my D.N.A and I was told I was part French and Indian which wasn't true. No big deal.
I done quite a bit family history and I have to say my parents was up front with me. No surprise at this point.
Coffee is on and stay safe

The Happy Whisk said...

That's the thing, if someone wants to dig into this then be prepared to possibly learn things.

DeniseinVA said...

Goodness, definitely the downside in DNA testing. Extraordinary about wolves and dogs and that young boy.

Lorraine said...

Yes, it seems to open up a real can of worms sometimes.

Lowcarb team member said...

We've had cold weather in the UK, and many areas have snow.
Brrr definitely soup weather!

All the best Jan

Mary Kirkland said...

I wanted to do a dna test but I just don't trust these places with my dna. I could just see the police being able to use my donated dna to find a familial match to a serial killer or something in 50-60 years. The thought that my dna could be used to put a great great grandchild in prison for something that maybe they didn't do (or maybe did do) doesn't sit right with me. Is that weird? lol

Christine said...

You make a very good point here

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That was a truly interesting post and article, Christine.

Anonymous said...

DNA is fascinating! I'm sure we'll learn more as time goes on.