Friday, April 18, 2014

Paint Party Friday - Spring Bear



Welcome to Paint Party Friday. This piece is done on a textured greeting card (5 1/2"h x 4 1/4"w)in watercolour pencils. It's called 'Spring Bear', inspired by a photo I saw in the newspaper.  The article spoke of female bears being ravenous after hibernation. It is illegal to kill female bears in the spring as they are nurturing their cubs, only male bears can be hunted. The issue is keeping people safe versus hunting bears up north.

33 comments:

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh I really like your spring bear. Very nice job
Nicole/Beadwright

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your spring bear, I can understand them being hungry after hibernating, I am hungry every day when I get up! Valerie

Giggles said...

Oh I love this the expression on her face is delightful!! Great colors too!! This too would make a fabulous card for male special occasions!!

Hugs G

Laila said...

Very good expression on her face, almost like she knows there won't be any danger these days.

Zana said...

Beautiful smile that bear has!

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

Lovely bear, she looks very happy to be out in the sunshine :)

Anonymous said...

I have read about people being mauled by bears on the mainland and in Canada. Of course, we don't have that problem in Hawaii. Nice sketch, Christine!

Karla B said...

This is adorable!Love it!

Anonymous said...

that is a beautiful smiling bear! Hopefully well fed,

Naquillity said...

what a great sketch with your watercolor pencils. i love your spring bear... i'm also glad to hear hunters can't kill the females during nurturing season. i wish they wouldn't kill at all but i'll take what i can get... hope all is well. have a great day~

Kathy G said...

It's amazing how much the texture comes through.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

That is a really great sketch.

Linda Kunsman said...

lovely work Christine! Your bear looks very happy for Spring.

Netty said...

loving your spring bear Christine.Happy Easter, hugs Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Annabelle said...

Ooooh she is a cutie, love her expression and she seems very harmless but then again the picture doesn't tell the whole story, right? I didn't know about killing female bears , nice to hear it's not allowed and I wish it be the same for the males. I'm not a hunter and really don't believe in it. Nice post Christine.


Happy Easter,
Hugs Annabelle

Ann said...

So cute; great idea for a card!

Faye said...

Beautiful painting on your card, Christine. I just saw a clip on TV about a woman who found 5 or 6 bears in her backyard. She got bitten on the head and other places. They are hungry when they come out of hibernation.

Renee Dowling said...

Your bear looks safe and happy.

AnnD said...

This is such a sweet illustration! I love the bear's face.

Gloria Baker said...

cute and beautiful:)

Teamgsquare said...

Wonderful painting. But hunting bear not at all a good idea

minnemie said...

I love how the texture of the paper adds to the painting! Wow, so the term "mother bear" has a very valid origin;-)

Tammie Dickerson said...

Your bear looks happy and content! Happy Easter and PPF!

Lisabella Russo said...

How sweet and lovely! The bear looks very happy!

GlorV1 said...

Your spring bear looks very hungry. Well done! Have a wonderful Easter and weekend.

Joy Murray said...

This bear looks so contented she may have already found her meal. It's a lovely card.

Icy BC said...

This is amazing, Christine! I really like this painting..Happy weekend!

Adam said...

great bear sketch

TangoAlphaMike said...

I love this bear!! Really cool looking. Maybe my favorite of yours :)

denthe said...

It has such a sweet expression on its face. Love it!

Kate Robertson said...

NIce rendering of the female bear. She has a sweetness about her.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think the issue is determining which is male and female. The females leave cubs to eat, and hunters bait where they hunt, killing the females anyway. It's so sad. I love your sketch! We had a bear in the backyard a year ago. A young male.

Cindy D. said...

Terrific bear, what a face!