Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Creative Tuesdays - Nursery Rhyme

Welcome to Creative Tuesdays and the month of April! I did 'Sing a Song of Sixpence' in honour of the current 'Nursery Rhyme' theme. You have until April 8th to submit your interpretation! My piece is done in my art journal in watercolour pencils (5"h x 7"w).



And on a very sad note, we learned yesterday that one of my son K's good friends passed away suddenly on March 28, 2014. He was 18 years old and at the beginning of his life. It is unimaginably sad, even more so because his mom passed away from cancer when the boy was just in grade 4. He leaves his brother and dad behind. K is still in shock himself. We will attend the funeral on the weekend.  They are saying it was a heart attack.  K has known the boy since kindergarten.  It was just last year that they both had their high school graduation proms.  My heart is heavy thinking about it all.

Read this post for an update on this boy's passing, turns out it was a suicide.

17 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

So sad to hear your news, what an awful thing to happen.
Love what you have made. Valerie

Anonymous said...

A heart attack? I didn't think that could happen to an 18 year old.
That's a cute sketch, Christine.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Your painting is so sweet Christine.

So very sad at the loss of the boy your son was friends with. What a shock for all.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Your artwork is beautiful, Christine. Happy April to you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's friend. That is very tragic.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

My deepest condolences for your son's friend :( unimaginably sad at such a young age.

Adam said...

I had a friend who didn't make it to high school by a week cause he was traveling in a small plane and crashed.

TwinkleToes2day said...

Loving your art piece, but so sad to hear of your son's loss. Heartfelt wishes go out to you all :o)

Unknown said...

That is really sad. My heart goes out for the brother and father. May they only know from good.

Gloria Baker said...

Im really sad Christine about your son's loss, really sad.
I love this little bird on the pie!

Lisabella Russo said...

I love your "Sing a Song a Sixpence." I am so sad to hear about your son's friend. It is so very sad.

Christine said...

Thanks for you kind wishes everyone.

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Your blackbird certainly looks like a cheeky chappie. Love the effect of the steam as well.
So sorry to read about your son's friend, such a sad and tragic time.

Wanda said...

Christine..how very sad for your son to lose a close friend so young. We never think of heat attacks hitting the young, but they do. Our nephew passed away several years ago at 27 with a heart attack.
There is something comforting about food, especially pie, so I think your sketch of this nursery rhyme is so appropriate. Sending love, hugs and prayers.

Alicia C said...

How sad and shocking for your family and theirs! I wonder if there was some pollution where they lived bc that doesnt sound normal. This is another nursery song I'd never heard before! Great drawing

Michael said...

Oh, that is so so sad, Christine. My heart breaks for the Dad and brother left behind and any one else close to him. It really does show just how fragile and precious but short life is. One never knows when our time will be up. I hope (and am sure) others will come along side the family and just love on them during their pain and loss. So sad. I would simply encourage your son to make the most of each day he has and celebrate it and the lives around him as a truly a gift to enjoy and share with others, as able.

On to your art--I love that rhyme and was actually my second choice if I had not done the one I did. I love how your table is in a pattern almost like cherries for cherry pie or something. Bright and festive with that darling little bird chirping along. LOVE it. Very cute indeed. Thank you so much.

Michael said...

Well put, Wanda.

ChrisJ said...

Thoughts and prayers go out to your son at this sad time.

Love your blackbird and pie. One of my favorite nursery rhymes. I posted mine this week because our hard drive died just as I was about to post it. So Wanda has a birthday card and a nursery rhyme card!