Thursday, February 27, 2025

Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date - Clay and Chinese Sticky Rice


 The theme for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date is 'Clay'.  I did a clay tagine ACEO (2 1/2" x 3 1/2").

For the Dinner Date, I am sharing my Chinese sticky rice recipe.  It may be easier to just buy it in the restaurants but I thought it turned out to be really delicious.


Based on this recipe


Ingredients

2 c sticky rice (sweet rice or glutinous rice such as Kokuho brand)

6 pc dried shitake mushroom (I used a hearty handful)
2 tbs dried shrimp (I used a hearty handful)
3-4 chinese sausage
3 cloves garlic minced
2 green onions diced
2 tbs canola oil

Sauce (very delicious)
1 tbs light soy
1 tbs dark soy sauce
1 tbs oyster sauce
1/2 tbs rice wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp white pepper (can use black pepper)
1/8 tsp salt

soak the sticky rice in cold water for 2-3 hours then drain doesn't seem necessary to do it overnight
Soak mushrooms in hot water for 30 mins. squeeze out and retain water, dice mushrooms
soak shrimp in hot water for 10 mins, retain water and dice the shrimp
soak the sausages in hot water for 3 mins to soften then dice.

Mix the sauce 
In a small bowl, mix light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, Shaoxing rice wine, sesame oil, sugar, white pepper, and salt. Set aside
Stir fry garlic, sausage, green onion. Add mushrooms, shrimp.
Add the drained rice to a rice cooker.  Mix in sauce and stir fried ingredients. Add the reserved soaking liquid to the rice mixture.  If necessary add extra water but don't need a lot, maybe half an inch of water to cover the rice mixture.  Steam the rice in the rice cooker.  Mix well once done and enjoy.



26 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

A classic that I used to like...haven't had it for more than 2 decades.

CheerfulMonk said...

That recipe sounds like a lot of work, but it looks delicious.

Iris Flavia said...

I´ve never seen chinese sausage here.

roentare said...


That container looks Muslim like.

ellie said...

Oh, it does look delicious! wonderful art too!

Ivy's Closet said...

So great to see your recipe! Happy Thursday!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, so yummy I could eat the leftovers for breakfast! Awesome Art💛

Lucimar da Silva Moreira said...

Christine linda a sua arte, pelo aspecto o arroz está muito bom e gostoso, bjs.

R's Rue said...

That looks delicious.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Your drawing reminded me that we are all jars of clay in the hands of the Master Potter. Blessings, Christine!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

Gillena Cox said...

Good art and yummy food, perfect.
Happy Thursday

Much♡love

Ananka said...

Nice art. I have been eating so much Tofu Miso Soups lately, I am addicted to Tofu :-D

Elkes Lebensglück said...

very good this recept and great painting of this clay pot!

Wanda said...

My goodness Christine, a lovely artist and gourmet cook!! I like Martha's comment...yes we are jars of clay in the Potter's hand.

LoveT. said...

The rice dish looks very good.

Sandra Cox said...

Great pic. Glad the Sticky Rice turned out well.

My name is Erika. said...

Nice tangine and yummy recipe. Have you ever used a tangine? I haven't.

J.P. Alexander said...

Linda pintura. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I do like stick rice.

Lux G. said...

Well, this made me hungry.

DeniseinVA said...

I wasn’t sure what a clay tagine was. I have seen them but looked it up and now I know. Thanks Christine, for this and also for the delicious meal.

Tanza Erlambang said...

love rice ..... yummy

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your clay tagine, and thanks for sharing your recipe.

All the best Jan

baili said...

Clay art is great
Dish sounds healthy but tasty